Captain Tohu Harris, fellow middle forward Addin Fonua-Blake, winger Marcelo Montoya and hooker Wayde Egan are the Vodafone Warriors' four players selected as contenders for The Players' Champion award run by the Rugby League Players' Association.
Harris has just been named the winner of the 2022 Vodafone Warriors' Players' Player of the Year award and he was also a finalist for the club's major accolade the Simon Mannering Medal.
Egan joined Harris as a Mannering Medal finalist - the award was won by Euan Aitken - while Fonua-Blake and Montoya again had impressive campaigns in a challenging final season based in Australia.
The Players' Champion runs separately to the NRL's Dally M Awards.
Four players from each club are chosen as contenders for The Players' Champion.
The winners of The Players’ Champion award for both the NRL and NRLW will be announced during Channel 9’s grand final coverage on October 2.
Past recipients Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers), James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters), and Kalyn Ponga (Knights) feature on the star-studded shortlist.
About The Players’ Champion voting:
- The contenders’ list is made up of four players from each club nominated to be eligible for The Players’ Champion award.
- RLPA delegates at each club put forward the three best players from their own team.
- An RLPA working group nominates a fourth player to round out the nomination process.
- In total, 64 players (four from each team) are eligible to receive votes in the end of season poll.
- Voting is open to all contracted NRL players, with each player selecting opposition players using a 3/2/1 format.
- Players are not penalised for any suspensions and/or fines received during the course of the season.
- Players cannot vote for their teammates.
- The player with the most number of votes is awarded The Players’ Champion.
- The five finalists for The Players’ Champion (NRL) will be announced on October 21.
- The Players’ Champion awards will also include a rookie of the year, the Dream Team and the Dennis Tutty Award for both NRL and NRLW players.
The 64 Contenders for The Players’ Champion (NRL):
Jack De Belin