Kitted out in their eye-catching 2018 Heritage strip, the Vodafone Warriors will be playing for the present on a day which also honours the past in Saturday’s sixth-round NRL clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Mount Smart Stadium (5.00pm kick-off; game day sponsor: Flava).
This is the second of the club’s run of three straight home matches and one of the biggest contests in any season when the Vodafone Warriors face their original foes from that unforgettable night on Friday, March 10, 1995.
It’s also a day for a footballing triple treat with the home side taking on the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles in the Intrust Super Premiership (2.45pm kick-off) preceded by the opening match on the programme between the Vodafone Junior Warriors – coming off their first win of the season – and the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (12.45pm).
The 2018 Heritage strip, evoking memories of the club’s early days, is the latest edition in an impressive collection of designs capturing the Vodafone Warriors’ past. This version was given an unscheduled airing when the Vodafone Warriors beat the Sydney Roosters 30-6 on March 31; the club was forced to use it following the theft of its away kit after the 20-19 victory over Canberra.
Central to game day this week will be the presence of a group of old boys who’ll be introduced to the crowd and acknowledged with a highlights reel on Mount Smart Stadium’s giant screen. They’ll also form a guard of honour as the unbeaten 2018 Vodafone Warriors run out onto the field from the East Stand tunnel.
Tickets have again been selling well as the Vodafone Warriors prepare for another huge attendance following last Saturday’s sold-out crowd of 25,600 for the historic SKYCITY Auckland Double Header.
Seeking to extend their outstanding season-opening record run to 6-0, the Vodafone Warriors have a healthy record against the Broncos, especially at Mount Smart Stadium where they have won eight of the last 10 encounters between the sides since 2007.
Aside from the day’s heritage look and feel plus the tripleheader, there’ll be a fund of special features, activities and attractions wrapped around the on-field action.
OLD BOYS’ DAY | SATURDAY, APRIL 14
12.30pm | Gates open
12.45pm | Jersey Flegg Cup | Vodafone Junior Warriors v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2.45pm | Intrust Super Premiership | Vodafone Warriors v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles
5.00pm | NRL | Vodafone Warriors v Brisbane Broncos
GAME DAY FEATURES | OLD BOYS’ DAY
- Entertainment Precinct:
- The revamped Members’ Clubrooms are back in operation in their regular location for the first time this season. Members-only venue.
- The Woodstock Bar made a great debut last week and will open for business at every home game for the rest of the season. Open to all fans.
- Play Grandstand Millionaire. Download Vodafone’s Stadium Live app to play. Your challenge is to guess the try-scorers in exact order in the Vodafone Warriors v Brisbane match.
- The merchandise van will be located in the Entertainment Precinct. Buy a 2018 Heritage jersey and go in the draw to win a money-can’t-buy experience.
- Drums of the Pacific will be performing.
- The Suzuki Swift Road Warrior will be on show. Make sure you register to go in the draw for your chance to win this great set of wheels at the end of the season.
- Harvey Norman Community Warriors will have lots of activities on offer including face painters, bin pong and a photo activation in the Community Corner.
- At halftime in the NRL game, match day sponsor Flava will present a halftime obstacle course race between a team of Flava prize winnerss and one comprising old boys Ben Henry, Jerry Seuseu, Jerome Ropati, Francis Meli and Ruben Wiki.
- Another halftime competition will be the Woodstock ‘Kick for Cash’.
- Flava will have a games area (giant Jenga, Connect Four and skipping rope).
- Mini mods under-11s between the end of the ISP match and the start of the NRL contest (Bay Roskill Vikings and Pikiao).
- Keep your eyes out for Tiki, who’ll be putting on some moves throughout the day.
- The CCC T-Shirt Cannon will be in business again. Which player will be firing it?
- Vodafone Stadium Live app (download it).
- Free trains to and from Mount Smart Stadium for fans holding membership cards or pre-purchased tickets (remember to hold onto your ticket for the return trip after the game).
- No cheerleaders.
- Enjoy the revamped Entertainment Precinct. This includes an Astro-turfed food alley with seating and places to hang out.