A number of first-choice NRL players including Brandon Smith, Cameron Munster and Harry Grant plus former Vodafone Warriors winger George Jennings are in the Storm squad for Saturday's trial against the New Zealand club at Casey Fields in Melbourne.
Also named is major signing Xavier Coates , who has joined the Storm from the Brisbane Broncos.
Other new acquisitions selected are former Canterbury Bankstown fullback-winger Nick Meaney and ex-Sydney Roosters halfback Jayden Nikorima, the latter facing his brother and Vodafone Warriors halfback Kodi Nikorima after they lined up alongside each other for the Māori All Stars in their 16-10 win over the Indigenous All Stars on Saturday night.
Jennings, then with the Parramatta Eels, spent six games and scored two tries as a loan player with the Vodafone Warriors in 2020.
The Storm squad also includes several players with strong rugby league ties:
- Bronson Garlick's father is former Rabbitohs and Roosters hooker Sean Garlick
- Cole Geyer is son of Storm legend Matt Geyer
- Cooper Johns' father is former Newcastle Knights star Matt Johns
- Tyran Wishart's father is ex-Kangaroos, New South Wales and Illawarra legend Rod Wishart
- Jonah Pezet is son of former South Queensland and Parramatta halfback Troy Pezet
The full Melbourne squad is: Grant Anderson, Xavier Coates, Sua Fa’alogo, Darius Farmer, Bronson Garlick, Cole Geyer, Harry Grant, AJ Gudgeon, Jack Howarth, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Cooper Johns, Josh King, Chris Lewis, Trent Loiero, Wes Lolo, Alex MacDonald, Nick Meaney, Cameron Munster, Jayden Nikorima, Jonah Pezet, Will Samuel, Marion Seve, Patrice Siolo, Brandon Smith, Will Warbrick, Tyran Wishart.