Among New Zealand's memorable sporting moments last year, a standout was the haka Vodafone Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck received after being crowned the Dally M NRL Player of the Year in Sydney.
The Issac Luke-led tribute was a showstopper after the outstanding fullback became the first Vodafone Warriors player to win the prestigious title.
Today the haka has been recognised as one of the nine finalists for New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment of the Year with the winner to be announced at the 56th Halberg Awards dinner in Auckland on February 21.
The award is decided by the public with voting now open through until 9.00pm on February 21.
You can vote now online or by text. Get on board and give Tuivasa-Sheck your support.
FAVOURITE SPORTING MOMENT OF THE YEAR | FINALISTS
- Nico Porteous and Zoi Sadowski-Synnott medalling at the Olympic Winter Games within two hours of each other (Pyeongchang).
- David Liti breaking a Commonwealth record and winning gold in the men’s 105kg plus weightlifting division at the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast).
- Kelly Brazier scoring a long-range solo try in extra time to secure gold for the Black Ferns Sevens against Australia at the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast).
- Black Sticks’ penalty shootout win over Olympic champion England in semi-final of the women’s hockey at the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast).
- Amelia Kerr blasting a record breaking 232 not out against Ireland for the White Ferns, achieving the highest score in women’s ODIs (Dublin).
- Vodafone Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck receiving an impromptu haka after winning the Dally M NRL Player of the Year (Sydney).
- Auckland winning the Mitre 10 Cup premiership final after a dramatic finish in extra time against Canterbury (Auckland).
- Black Caps winning the first test against Pakistan by four runs (Abu Dhabi).
- Anna Leat’s successful penalty against Japan, taking New Zealand into the semi-final of the Fifa Under-17 Women's World Cup (Uruguay).
How to vote:
Voting is now open for the Favourite Sporting Moment of the Year award. You can vote once a day from now until 9.00pm on Thursday, February 21, 2019. Vote either online or by text.
- Online | Vote at www.sportingmoments.co.nz
- TXT | Text your Sporting Moment’s unique code to 556 (standard txt charges apply):
- Txt SM1 to 556 to vote for Nico Porteous and Zoi Sadowski-Synnott
- Txt SM2 to 556 to vote for David Liti
- Txt SM3 to 556 to vote for Kelly Brazier
- Txt SM4 to 556 to vote for Vantage Black Sticks Womens Team
- Txt SM5 to 556 to vote for Amelia Kerr
- Txt SM6 to 556 to vote for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
- Txt SM7 to 556 to vote for Auckland Rugby
- Txt SM8 to 556 to vote for Black Caps
- Txt SM9 to 556 to vote for Anna Leat
Everyone who votes for the Sporting Moment by February 4, 2019, goes in a draw to win a trip for two including flights and accommodation to the 56th ISPS Handa Halberg Awards at Spark Arena, Auckland on Thursday, February 21, 2019. Visit www.sportingmoments.co.nz to read the competition terms and conditions.
The awards, held annually since 1963, are the brainchild of Olympic athletics champion Sir Murray Halberg (ONZ) to honour sporting excellence and as a major fundraiser for the Halberg Foundation, his charity which aims to enhance the lives of physically disabled young New Zealanders by enabling them to participate in sport and recreation.