A Test between the New Zealand Police and their Australian counterparts, a strong overall police theme and the last ‘Be the Band’ finalist will be core attractions when the Vodafone Warriors stage their members’ appreciation game day at Mount Smart Stadium on Friday night.
The international, kicking off at 5.35pm, will precede the main event when the Vodafone Warriors face Penrith in their crucial 24th-round NRL encounter (8.00pm kick-off) to cap the club’s second-to-last home game day of the season.
Apart from the Test, there will be numerous other police attractions and activities including police dog puppies, an armed offenders’ display and a performance by the New Zealand Police band.
Taking the stage in the Entertainment Precinct will be the third and last group in the ‘Be the Band’ competition, which is seeking to discover the Vodafone Warriors’ first resident band for game days at Mount Smart Stadium. This week’s contender is Rusty Az, a four-piece group from Taranaki.
Friday night’s programme will also include a number of events acknowledging the club’s members and the huge contribution they make to the Vodafone Warriors.
Central to this will be the annual members’ march around Mount Smart Stadium while 2017 Vodafone Warriors member of the year TeKanawa Harris will do the coin toss.
GAME DAY DETAILS | v PENRITH PANTHERS, FRIDAY, AUGUST 24
Match day theme | Members’ appreciation day
5.15pm | Gates open
5.35pm | Test | New Zealand Police v Australian Police
8.00pm | NRL | Vodafone Warriors v Penrith Panthers
- Test match between New Zealand Police and Australian Police at 5.35pm. Match includes national anthems and haka by New Zealand Police.
- Police activities:
- Police dog puppies on show.
- Armed offenders’ display.
- Police recruitment marquee open.
- Police patrol cars and bikes on show.
- Performance by New Zealand Police band.
- Police booze bus stationed in the stadium.
- Serious Crash Unit car on display.
- Ball run out by winners of the 2018 CSG League in Libraries story-writing competition • Riana Foster (Parkvale School, Hastings) and Caspian Buxton (Eskdale School, Napier).
- Halftime relay run by New Zealand Police and Auckland Transport with contestants wearing "booze goggles". Should be a few laughs in this.
- 'Be the Band' | Rusty Az performing in the Entertainment Precinct 6.15pm-7.15pm. The boys from the 'Naki love rocking out everyone's favourites.
- Look out for our regular Woodstock 'Kick for Cash' competition. Can someone step up and win some cash again?
- ACC Biggest Warm-Up and mini mod footy games in the build-up to the big game. Under-10s: Hibiscus Coast Raiders v Ellerslie Eagles. Under-8s: Papakura Sea Eagles v Point Chevalier Pirates.
- Coin toss with 2017 Vodafone Warriors member of the year TeKawana Harris joining the opposing captains in the middle of the field.
- Members who have attended every home game so far go into a draw for 17 of them to win the chance to run out with the Vodafone Warriors from the East Stand tunnel.
- The Canterbury of New Zealand T-Shirt Cannon will be in business as usual. This week it will be in the hands of one of the players and also a Vodafone Warriors member.
- A lucky Vodafone Warriors member will be selected for a 'catch a spiral' competition at halftime.
- Vodafone Stadium Live app is a great in-game tool. Download it.
- Also play Grandstand Millionaire. Download Vodafone's Stadium Live app to play. Your challenge is to guess the try-scorers in exact order in the Vodafone Warriors v Penrith Panthers game.
- Free trains to and from Mount Smart Stadium for fans holding membership cards or pre-purchased tickets (remember to hold onto your ticket for the return trip after the game).
- No cheerleaders.
- Make the most of the Members’ Clubrooms. Great place to meet before the game and afterwards. Members-only venue including MC and post-match interviews.
- The Woodstock Bar is also a big game day attraction. It’s open to all fans every home game. Everyone is welcome so try it out.
- The food alley is a major game day attraction with an array of gourmet options in an area set off by an Astro-turf surface, fairy lights and places to hang out.
- The merchandise van will be on hand again.
- Drums of the Pacific will be performing at Gate B and Gate C before the match and from the stage in the Entertainment Precinct throughout the contest.
- The Suzuki Swift Road Warrior will be on show. Make sure you register to go in the draw for your chance to win this great set of wheels at the end of the season.
For the kids:
- Plenty of fun and games for the young ones in the Harvey Norman Community Warriors Fun Zone. Get along and check it out.