Women take centre stage at our place tonight
Girl power will be in full focus when the Vodafone Warriors host their unique double header at Mount Smart Stadium tonight.
Unique because the Vodafone Warriors have their new NRL women’s premiership team and NRL men’s side on the same bill for the first time, beginning with the women taking on Auckland in a trial match at 6.00pm ahead of the NRL fixture against Newcastle at 8.00pm.
That’s history right there and fittingly so in the NRL’s Harvey Norman Women in League round.
The feminine touch is everywhere, not just in the two women’s teams going head-to-head on the field but also the referee – Rochelle Tamarua – and Vodafone Warriors coach Luisa Avaiki on the sideline.
Once that game is over there’s more to follow with Vodafone Warriors member Carol Tawhai doing the coin toss while the ever-popular mini mod games feature all-girls teams. The Richmond Rosebuds face the Howick Hornets in an under-13 match-up and then Whangarei’s Glenbervie School meets Point England School in a match between primary school teams.
The guard of honour as the Vodafone Warriors run onto the field from the East Stand tunnel will be made up of the players from the Vodafone Warriors women’s team and the NRL team’s partners and families as well as flag bearers who are all female Vodafone Warriors members.
There’s also a female flavour in the Vodafone Warriors-Newcastle NRL match with Belinda Sleeman one of the touch judges.
Another major game day feature will be a Generation Game-styled activation courtesy of match day sponsor Harvey Norman. A lucky winner picked from a competition to find “a deserving woman” will be revealed at halftime to have a shot at winning Harvey Norman products.
Also on the bill again tonight will be another instalment of the Woodstock Kick of Cash competition as well as the second finalist in the ‘Be the Band’ talent search – Brotherhood Musiq. The three-piece band will be playing in the Entertainment Precinct from 6.15pm-7.15pm.
GAME DAY DETAILS | v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS, FRIDAY, AUGUST 10
Match day theme | Women in League
5.45pm | Gates open
6.00pm | Women’s trial | Vodafone Warriors v Auckland
8.00pm | NRL | Vodafone Warriors v Newcastle Knights
- ‘Be the Band’ | ‘Brotherhood Musiq’ performing in the Entertainment Precinct 6.15pm-7.15pm.
- Look out for our regular Woodstock ‘Kick for Cash’ competition, which has recently produced a couple of winners.
- ACC Biggest Warm-Up and mini mod footy games in the build-up to the big game. Under-13s: Richmond Rosebuds v Howick Hornets. Primary schools: Glenbervie School (Whangarei) v Point England (Auckland).
- Keep your eyes out for Tiki.
- The Canterbury of New Zealand T-Shirt Cannon will be in business as usual.
- Vodafone Stadium Live app is a great in-game tool. Download it.
- Also play Grandstand Millionaire. Download Vodafone’s Stadium Live app to play. Your challenge is to guess the try-scorers in exact order in the Vodafone Warriors v Newcastle Knights game.
- Free trains to and from Mount Smart Stadium for fans holding membership cards or pre-purchased tickets (remember to hold onto your ticket for the return trip after the game).
- No cheerleaders.
- Make the most of the Members’ Clubrooms. Great place to meet before the game and afterwards. Members-only venue including MC and post-match interviews.
- The Woodstock Bar is also a big game day attraction. It’s open to all fans every home game. Everyone is welcome so try it out.
- The food alley is a major game day attraction with an array of gourmet options in an area set off by an Astro-turf surface, fairy lights and places to hang out.
- The merchandise van will be on hand again.
- Drums of the Pacific will be performing at Gate B and Gate C before the match and from the stage in the Entertainment Precinct throughout the contest.
- The Suzuki Swift Road Warrior will be on show. Make sure you register to go in the draw for your chance to win this great set of wheels at the end of the season.
For the kids:
- Harvey Norman Community Warriors Fun Zone:
- 3 on 3 touch game – on grass turf, next to the membership tent, 10m x 20m.
- Photo booth with printed photos.
- Gazebo set up registering girls for the Women in League footy clinic being run in October school holidays.
- Flower wall.
- Purple face paint.