You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Peta Hiku scores a try. 
New Zealand Kiwis v Scotland, Rugby League World Cup 2017. RLWC2017. AMI Stadium, Christchurch, New Zealand. Saturday 4 November 2017. © Copyright photo: Martin Hunter /

A razzle-dazzle attacking display from New Zealand has seen the Kiwis comprehensively beat the Scotland Bravehearts 74-6 in their Rugby League World Cup Pool B clash at Christchurch Stadium. 

The Kiwis erased any memories of the 18-18 draw they suffered to Scotland in last year's Four Nations, putting the Bravehearts to the sword. 

New Zealand was simply too good, making 18 line breaks and offloading 31 times to run through a rebuilding Scottish team.  

It was a special day for Vodafone Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson, who overtook Matthew Ridge as New Zealand's all-time leading points scorer, recording a personal tally of 22 points on his way to the record. 

The onslaught started early, the Kiwis opening the scoring in the 9th minute through Kenny Bromwich with his first four-pointer for his country. 

Just minutes later, New Zealand used this momentum to give winger Jason Nightingale his first try of the tournament and a commanding 10-point lead. 

The Kiwis did not stop there with second rower Joseph Tapine scoring a soft try in the 15th minute. Johnson missed his second conversion of the match to leave the score-line at 14-0.

When Scottish standoff Danny Brough kicked out on the full in the 21st minute, the Bravehearts' heads collectively dropped and New Zealand fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck took advantage, setting up Nightingale for his second. 

Nelson Asofa-Solomona then showed his class, capping off a barnstorming run with a no-look flick pass that put standoff Te Maire Martin in under the posts and extended New Zealand's lead to 24-0.

The Kiwis continued to pile on the points with Peta Hiku crossing on the stroke of halftime to give his side a 28-point lead at the break. 

There would be no second half comeback for Scotland, with Kiwi prop Russell Packer making the score 34-0 in the 43rd minute. 

The scoreboard hit 40 when Martin crossed for his second in the 52nd minute before Dean Whare scored in the corner two minutes later to make it 46-0. 

Hiku brought up the half century for New Zealand in the 58th minute and Johnson kicked truly to leave Scotland reeling at 52-0 down. 

Johnson then proved he could do it all, scoring a try of his own in the 61st minute before setting up Hiku for his third. 

But Scotland never stopped trying and it was rewarded for its efforts in the 71st minute courtesy of a try to halfback Oscar Thomas. 

The Kiwis crossed twice more before the full-time siren sounded, with David Kidwell's men sending a message to the rest of the tournament that they are the real deal.



AMI Stadium, Christchurch 

New Zealand Kiwis 74 (Te Maire Martin 3, Peta Hiku 3, Jason Nightingale 2, Dean Whare, Shaun Johnson, Elijah Taylor, Kenny Bromwich, Joseph Tapine, Russell Packer tries; Shaun Johnson 9 conversions).

Scotland Bravehearts 6 (Oscar Thomas try; Danny Addy goal).

Halftime: 28-0 Kiwis.

Referee: Henry Perenara (New Zealand).

Crowd: 12,130.

Acknowledgement of Country

The New Zealand Warriors honour the mana of the Indigenous peoples of Aotearoa, Australia and the Pacific. We acknowledge the traditional kaitiaki of the lands, elders past and present, their stories, their traditions, their mamae and their mana motuhake.

Principal Partner

Major Partners

Official Sponsors

View All Partners